Do you take note of what others are doing to generate and convert leads online? I certainly do, particularly when I see someone nailing it, and more importantly when I feel compelled to sign up for something!
Recently I came across this ad from Cancer Council Queensland.
This is a non-government community organization, which isn’t the norm in Australia or Queensland to be doing a great job with online marketing, but can I tell you, they got this so right!
Firstly, I was targeted for their ad. I am a female, living in Queensland and no doubt in the right age group.
A couple of things that they did really well.
They had me curious; they created popularity and a sense that I was missing out that I hadn’t yet ordered mine, and above all, I wanted it!
Here’s the thing, as most women, we’re all busy and we often forget about doing a self-check. However, having the convenience of having it readily available in the privacy of our bathrooms, this is something that I certainly wanted.
This was smart, but not just that, the backend was even better.
I was taken to the following lead page of course to enter more details. I wondered why they didn’t just take me to provide my address details and automate it all.
I soon found out why!
Within a few days, I received a call from the Cancer Council. They shared with me some scary stats and were happy that I was taking action to hopefully prevent anything bad happening to me.
I was asked my address details, but before the caller left, she asked me if I’d like to sign up for ongoing donations.
The law of reciprocity had certainly kicked in!
Here I am getting them to pay for postage (which in Australia isn’t a cheap thing anymore!) and also pay for printing and putting it together.
Did I feel obliged to give them something? Absolutely!
There are many lessons here that we can all apply in our businesses around lead generation, here were some specific takeaways for me:
- Run ads to your exact target market– don’t waste your advertising dollar on broad problems, target a specific market and speak to their particular concerns and desires.
- Make it simple & practical – Make a lead magnet something that your target market really want and will use! Could you imagine if they deliver this via an hour-long video? This checklist being sent out to me is the perfect delivery and I can easily consume it and re-use it whenever I want.
- Minimise the barriers of entry – ask for as little information as possible. Now they only asked for phone number, I would have also asked for the name too. It’s up to you though. I’m sure they would have done a heap of split testing to work out how they would maximize the sign-ups and one way of doing that was no doubt excluding the first name.
- Have consistent branding and messages – you’ll notice between all of the collateral the brand was the same, images/colours etc. This is particularly important if you’re new to your prospects that contact will recognize or at least start to recognize some similarities between your ads, pages, retargeted ads, emails, lead magnet, and other collateral
- Follow up with your leads – automation delivered through the likes of Infusionsoft can be really powerful, but sometimes just getting on the phone with a prospect, having a set script can generate greater results
Today I received my shower card. The process between the original sign up till now is probably a couple of weeks, but does that matter? No way! I didn’t need to fluff around trying to print it and now I’ve got a practical checklist that will make it’s home in my bathroom.
Can you imagine creating a lead magnet that your target market will actually use and have up in sight all the time?
Will they remember you for when they really need you for your product or services?
What other lessons can you take from this campaign?
If you’re curious to check out the campaign, please go here and sign up if you’re a Queensland resident – (update: the campaign is over at the moment – check out their official website instead)
If you’re looking to maximise your landing pages as part of your campaign, you may like to click on the following link to check out our landing page blog article here.
(NOTE: Ready to use more automation in your business to make more sales with less effort – even if you don’t have a fancy system? Check out the Marketing Automation Game Plan and discover in this free 3-part video series the proven steps you must follow to successfully transform your business with automation. Learn more now.)